21 June 2010

A Nomtastic Father's Day


What do you do when you're not a good cook, but it's Father's Day?  Bake.  Well, that's what I do.  A few weeks ago my mom came across this great recipe for brownies that look like mini grills.  I knew this would be the perfect dessert to follow a delicious dinner on Father's Day.  They were fairly simple and inexpensive to make.  I would recommend this project to anyone who enjoys baking.

I used Betty Crocker's Hershey's Ultimate Fudge Supreme Brownie Mix and Whipped Fluffy White Vanilla Icing which were conveniently on sale at Acme at the time.  I also needed Cake Mate's Yellow Crystals Decors to make the fire of the grill.  I then took a trip to CVS because they often have candy on sale and there is no need to buy expensive candy.  While there I bought Caramel Creams, Fruit Slices, and Hot Tamales.  Between the two stores, I didn't spend more than $15.  I did save a little money because I already had Wilton's black icing coloring from previous projects.

Once you have everything, the recipe is easy to follow and takes little time.  For me, the worst part was waiting for the brownies to cool because the second they came out of the oven, I was ready to decorate them.  Unfortunately, it is very important to wait for them to cool because the icing will melt if the brownies are still warm.  The only thing I would change to the recipe is I would use red Mike and Ikes for the hot dogs instead of Hot Tamales because I think more people like Mike and Ikes.  So next time you're heading to a barbeque try making this delicious dessert, you won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment