10 April 2010

Cabled Newsboy Cap


What's a girl to do with an empty wallet and a need for new accessories?  Make them of course.  When I was learning how to knit, I borrowed a book from my local library called Stitch n' Bitch Nation.  Debbie Stoller has several books in the Stitch n' Bitch line which are really helpful.  The patterns are great if you're looking for some that don't look like your grandma knitted them.

Your local library is a great resource for learning a craft, finding free patterns, or exploring a book before you save up to buy one. In Stitch n' Bitch Nation, I found an adorable pattern for a cabled newsboy cap. Anyone who has a handle on knitting and purling can make this hat. I would recommend watching a tutorial on cables if you have not yet attempted this skill. There are quite a few on knittinghelp.com. The pattern also recommends double pointed needles, which I find dreadfully intimidating, so I used the magic loop technique. I ordered the yarn from Knitpicks and splurged a little bit on their 100% Superwash merino wool. This wool is incredibly soft to the touch and the strands did not separate while I was knitting. Another tool you will need is a piece of plastic canvas, which I found at Joann's for $0.99. Even with splurging on nice wool this project still came in under ten dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment