02 March 2010

Anyone Want Some Birthday Cake?


Once upon a time, a little girl I know loved Tinkerbell very much.  So much that she even had a Tinkerbell-themed birthday party.  What better gift can an aunt give besides a Tinkerbell cake?  I made this cake almost two years ago for her fifth birthday.  It was my first character cake, but with the help of Wilton, it turned out pretty well.

You can buy Wilton's cake pans at any local craft store such as Michaels or A.C. Moore.  The great thing about buying the cake pans in stores is that they also carry any other accessory you will need to finish the project.  On the back of all Wilton's cake pans there are clear instructions that tell you what icing colors and tips you'll need.  You'll also need decorating bags and your favorite cake mix and icing flavor.  At first it might seem as though the project keeps adding up with all the tools you need to finish the cake, but the more cakes I make, the less I need to buy.  I have built up quite a collection of icing colors and tips, even though I've only done four cakes.  However, it's not all easy.  Be warned: the projects can be time consuming. I have found myself taking two hours just to ice a cake, but it's worth it when you're finally finished and have tons of people admiring your hard work.  With Wilton's clear step by step directions and some free time, anyone can make a delicious and adorable cake.

The one 'bad' part to bringing a beautiful homemade cake to a party is that you have to do it year after year, which isn't such a bad thing if you enjoy it like I do.  Over two years and four birthdays I have made Tinkerbell, Elmo, Ariel, and a firetruck.  Who knows what the challenge will be this fall when the birthdays come around again?




(click images to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment