25 February 2010

Nemo the Elefante


Since learning to knit, I have been drawn to the adorable patterns of the various toys you can make. Before beginning this project, I had only completed two and a half projects, all of which were scarves. I thought I would be in over my head, but I soon proved to myself otherwise. Everyone, meet Nemo the Elefante.


I found the pattern on Ravelry, a great place to find an assortment of free patterns posted by fellow craftsters. I followed the pattern from start to finish, except I had to find a different directions for the ears because I haven't learned how to crochet yet. The other thing I changed about the directions is that they say to use double pointed needles. Personally, I am not a fan of the double pointed needles, so with the help of a video, I quickly picked up on the magic loop technique that is used to knit small circles. After learning this technique, I personally don't see the need to ever use the double pointed needles.


I made Nemo using size 4 needles with a 32" cable and Simply Soft Eco yarn made by Caron. I had used the soft mint colored yarn for a previous scarf I made and thought it would make an adorable Elefante. Overall, the pattern was easy to follow and a great beginners pattern for anyone else who is interested in knitting toys. It took me about a week to finish him, but it was worth every minute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Nemo! He is sheer adorableness.

Post a Comment